[lug] Postgresql

Pedersen, Michael J PederMJ at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM
Wed Dec 1 11:00:33 MST 1999

I don't have anything useful to send to this, so I will simply ask questions
which may help others steer you properly:

Which version of linux are you using (ie: RedHat 6.1, Slackware 7.0, etc)?

What steps did you take to install PostgreSQL (ie: downloaded from here, ran
this installer, etc)?

Which version of PostgreSQL did you install?  If that is unknown, then what
was the name of the file you downloaded to install?  Or did it come with
your linux cds?

What troubleshooting have you done so far (you don't have to have done any,
but knowing what steps you've taken would help)?

Have you tried reading through the relevant How-To to see if it will help?
The latest version is at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/PostgreSQL-HOWTO.html

Now, having asked those questions, and probably made you think some awful
things about this, I need to say this: We were all totally new to these
things at one point or another.  And none of us knows it all.  As long as
you're willing to hang in there and learn, you'll be able to pick it up, and
eventually instead of asking for advice, you'll be giving it out.  Just a
little patience is all it'll take.

Good luck, and keep asking questions. I know I'll try and help out where
possible.