OT [lug] suggestions needed

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Mon Dec 6 10:45:47 MST 1999

"Stephen G. Smith" wrote:

> Anyone using AT&T at home cable modem service?
> Do they support Linux?

My parents have it - they got it back when it was TCI @Home.

"Support" is probably too strong a word.  They don't prohibit it (AFAIK - I
never asked them).

But in Lakewood (at least) it's pretty easy to connect a Linux box to a cable
modem.

The computer which receives the Internet connection does so with a standard TP
cable into a NIC.  In my parents' area each computer is assigned a static
address, so Linux support is a matter of giving the outward-facing NIC that
address and attaching it to the cable modem.  The inward-facing NIC gets a
private IP address - as do all the computers on the local network - and the
Linux box does the IP-masquerading bit.

It works pretty nicely (aside from the occasional outage), and it's fun to see
who has the fastest servers (since their connection to the Internet is no
longer the bottleneck).  To date, the best speed we've seen came while
downloading StarOffice from Sun - 166 Kbytes/second.

YMMV, of course.  They might not assign static addresses in your neighborhood,
and if so then their DHCP system might not be Linux-compatible.  But that's for
you to find out.

Calvin

--
"Hey feller!
I bet you're still living in your parents' cellar

- "It's All About The Pentiums"