[lug] Red Hat $ 217/share long or short?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Dec 6 17:16:25 MST 1999

Thus spoke winrip
> To the other end of all this, why worry about it? RedHat is going to be around

Not everyone is really worried about it, but it is rather interesting to
ponder why these things happen.  I've been a developer my whole life.  10
years ago I couldn't have cared less about things like stock or the
business side of things - "I just wanna write code!"   Times change.  Me
too.  Now I'm older and want to buy a house (finally).  The business side
of things is just a bit more interesting these days.

>  I guess what it comes down to is; Do you invest now and possibly loose your
> behind due to over valed stock taking a dive. OR wait for the price to settle
> down and possibly loose your behind by not buying early if the stock takes off.

Its a risk.  If you're lucky, RH will perform like Dell, which turned
$10,000 6 years ago into a $1,000,000 this year.  But who's to say that
will happen?  Right now, things are good.  For the IPO'ers, its a no lose
situation.  Everyone else takes their chances.

Personally, I keep some in volatile stocks like RH, and some in more stable
stocks, like AT&T or Disney (which is sucking right now, but I know if held
for a very long period it's going to be a winner).
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |  Why do croutons come in airtight packages?  It's