[lug] Gaming under Linux

McIllece, Matthew W matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com
Fri Dec 17 12:30:15 MST 1999

If you're at a VC as any user, you can also start games that require X by
just doing an "xinit" or "xinit -- -bpp 16" if your game requires 16
bits/pixel.  Once the xterm comes up, just execute the game from there.
You'll never have to worry about game/window-manager conflicts if you start
your games this way.  I don't use the window managers much, so I start all
my games via aliases to script files that do the xinit and exec'ing of the
game with my game customization parameters (e.g. set fov 110).  I also seem
to get higher frame rates this way as compared to when a window manager is
running.