[lug] Frustratingly stupid @INC problem

Ralf Mattes rm at ns.aura.de
Thu Dec 23 04:13:08 MST 1999

On 22 Dec 1999 socket at peakpeak.com wrote:

> Hi, everyone.
>
> I just upgraded my machine to unstable Debian and have had suprisingly
> few glitches, but the ones I've got have been annoying just because of
> how simple they *should* be to solve.

[...]

> But what is so different with Debian's unstable 5.005_03 that it can't
> find installed modules in the same place, despite nearly identical
> @INCs?  I'm sure there's an absurdly simple answer that someone can
> provide that will make me feel stupid for having needed to post to the
> list in the first place. (and yes, the relevant strings are in @INC in
> both versions. Permissions are good. The files really are there.)

Depending on the compile options of the perl binary, modules
that use an XS part (a dynamically loaded library) might not
work any more. In the worst case you would have to recompile
all modules that use libraries. Many modules come with a
part written in perl that automagically pulls in dlls. The
message "Can't locate loadable object for module
PDA::Pilot in @INC" basically tells you that. You called a function
of the PDA::Pilot modules that is implemented in a loadable module
that can't be found. I wouldn't risk using the old modules
with a new Perl5.005.

Ralf