[lug] CD-RW & tar command

Bonnell, Doug DBonnell at BreeceHill.com
Wed Jan 12 14:03:20 MST 2000

Hi David,

There are three questions here:

	1. How do I use tar for backup?

	    Say you want to backup fred's directory into
	    a tar file under /tmp:

	    tar cvf /tmp/backup/backup106.tar /users/fred

	2. How do I make the ISO image for the CD?

	mkisofs -a -A "Fred's backup number 106" -d -L
        -N -o /tmp/fred_106.iso -P "Publisher ID" -p "Preparer ID"
        -r -T -V "RHLinux5.2" -v /tmp/backup

      3. How do I use cdrecorder to burn the CD image?

	Can't help you there. I use Xcdroast, which provides a GUI to both
mkisofs and
	cdrecord. It's much nicer than doing things by hand. The only fault
I have with it
	is that Xcdroast doesn't have a way to "erase" a re-writable CDRW
disk. I have
	to do this manually with cdrecord before putting new data on the
CDRW.

Hope this helps....
Doug Bonnell