[lug] Newline display in vi or more

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Tue Jan 18 12:52:55 MST 2000

On 15 Jan 2000, Tkil wrote:

> (2) you can detect "hidden characters" with any competent text editor
>     (i know that emacs/xemacs will display unprintable characters, i
>     presume vi/vim/nvi/etc do the same one way or another).

One thing I've noticed recently is that the vi and more programs on my
Debian box seem to ignore the ^M character added by DOS/Windows programs.
I find this to be troublesome since I often have to convert ascii files
between the DOS/Windows and Unix representations.  The conversion is easy
to do, but it helps if you can see if the conversion is needed.

Maybe there is a way to force these programs to show the non-printing
characters ... ?

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)