[lug] no fun with the sun

Ferdinand P. Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon Jan 24 11:15:40 MST 2000

HI,
Thanks for all the helpful hints for getting my Sun Sparc up and
running.  Since it is an old machine older help pages worked just fine.
Unfortunately there seems to be one big stumbling block:

I can get the sun booted from disk and start a network install via ftp
from my PC (10 MBit network).  But when it comes to copying files the
speed for the install reaches close to zero.  After two days of copying
the system had roughly 1/3 of the OS copied.  Any ideas on where my
problem may be?

Also - now that I had a failed install the Sun tries to boot off the hdd
and gets into a Stack underflow eternal loop.  Is there a magic key
stroke that allows me to direct it to booting from disk again?

Does anybody have ideas where I can find a mouse and some more memory
for this thing?  Web sites, computer recycling places, ...

One final note: It is amazing how large these Linux installations have
grown.  520 MB can't hold a RedHat installation with X anymore.  Even NT
with everything selected is only around 300 MB.

Thanks in advance for your hints and tricks,
Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid
(Staff Engineer)