[lug] DSL in Denver?

Alan Robertson alanr at bell-labs.com
Wed Jan 26 18:13:23 MST 2000

Justin wrote:

> I'm sure this have been brought up, in fact I remember a bunch of posts a
> while back about DSL (at that time I had cable modem and didn't pay
> attention). I'm searching for a DSL setup that will work with my redhat 6.1
> linux box. It costs (from USwest) $100 for an Intel 2100 internal modem or
> $240 for an external Cisco 685 modem/router. My previous setup with the
> external cable modem was to run cat5 from the cable modem to eth0 in my linux
> box, then eth1 ran the internal network. I would like to have a similiar setup
> with the DSL but that entails buying a $240 modem. Any suggestions on what
> route to take? Anybody gone through this already? Thanks for any help...
>
>            Justin

The $240 modem is heavily discounted when you buy service.  I paid $50 for it,
along with a $70 charge for initiating service.  I just got it installed this
week.  I don't have the firewall admined yet, but it works great so far.

I'm planning on reinstalling the machine it's on and it's network isolated as of
now, so I don't care if it's cracked while I'm getting around to it.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at bell-labs.com