[lug] Newbie Needs Help on Installation

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Thu Jan 27 14:29:16 MST 2000

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, clara cantorna wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I'm a newbie in regards to Linux.  I use HP-UNIX at work but I don't know
> anything about Linux.  I've been hearing some great reviews about Linux and
> decided to add a slave hard drive on my computer and install Linux as
> another operating system.
>
> My problem is this.  My primary hard drive (C:) runs Windows 98.  I
> installed Linux on the other hard drive without any problems.  However,
> after the installation is completed and the system re-boots itself, it won't
> load.  I keep getting  1s and 0s when the system reboots.

1's and 0's or is it printing out LILO one letter at a time?  What
distribution were you trying to load?  Did you create a boot floppy as
part of the Linux distribution, if so have you tried booting using the
boot floppy?  Did the Linux installation ask about booting from the hard
drive, and if so did you say yes?  Did it install the Linux Loader (LILO),
and if so did you specify the boot partitions for Linux and Windows?

Obviously a lot of questions, but we need some background before we can
really troubleshoot your installation.  Without more info, we can only
guess.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)