[lug] Advice needed

Ryan Kirkpatrick rkirkpat at nag.cs.colorado.edu
Fri Jan 28 17:57:19 MST 2000

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, William Jarosko Jr. wrote:

>   I've been working on this for close to a year now with only a couple
> of interviews as of late.  And I guess my question really relates to
> what is appropriate to put on a resume.  Things like, I've been
> upgrading and repairing computers since '92 but mostly outside of a work
> UNIX/LINUX is concerned, I've had a LINUX or some UNIX variant installed
> and working at home since Sept,'98, with the full blown *NIX only rule
> at home since Feb,'99 (not that I don't like MS or Novell I just have a
> passion for UNIX) .  Though *NIX experience at work is limited, I happen

	As a data point for you, what I put on my resume:

If the work was done for a company, then I list the company I worked for,
what I did, and the dates I worked there.

If the work was done for myself, on my own time and machines, I list it as
personal research, and describe what I have done. As an example, I have a
number of computers (small cluster almost) networked together, all running
Linux (save for one lone Win98 box), all performing different tasks
(workstation, server, stereo/mp3s, router, terminal server, etc...), all
setup and maintained by me. I simply list that work about as I did here.

	If you tell where you gained the experience, on the job or in
personal research, then you aren't lying, but you are also not short
changing yourself.
	My two cents. If you want to see a more complete example of this,
take a look at my resume, its on my web site. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |