[lug] sportster modem questions/problems

Carl.Wagner at Level3.com Carl.Wagner at Level3.com
Tue Feb 1 17:59:18 MST 2000

Sounds like a IRQ or IO conflict.
   com1 = irq4
   com2 = irq3
   com3 = irq4
   com4 = irq3
   soundcard often on irq5
Do you have some other device taking irq 2/9?

I would disable both ttys on the mother board, remove all cards but the
video and see if it works on com3 under Linux. (some devices can share IRQs
under DOS but not under Linux).
If it works, just add things back one at a time until it stops. Also I have
had problems with PCI devices trying to use the same IRQ as ISA devices
causing some strangeness.  I would disable PnP management of the IRQ you
select, 2/9,5,3 or 4
(in the BIOS/CMOS).

Carl.