[lug] Linux Raid question

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue Feb 1 19:12:21 MST 2000

> couldn't open device hdb1 - device not configured
> mkraid aborted, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat for clues

I don't know anything about RAID setup, but have you partitioned and
formatted /dev/hdb (primary slave)?  Actually, reading further down
makes it sound like /dev/hdb is your cdrom, so /dev/hdb1 wouldn't make
much sense.

> First I checked to see if I had an hdb1 in my /dev folder and not only did I have one, I had hdb through hdb16.  But I also had and hda(1-16) and an hdb (1-16) all the way through hdh(1-16).  I only have 5 hard drives in the machine.  How am I getting a-h drives?  Why are there so many partitions (1-16)?

The default is to set up nodes for up to 16 partitions.

> Also - how to I see what happened during the boot process?  The boot.log file doesn't start until syslogd is started, but the hard drives are initialized way before that.  Is that logged anywhere or can I turn a capture on somehow?
>
> Also how do I see if my extra IDE card is working?  Maybe that's my problem since HDA is on the first IDE bus, the CD Rom is on the second IDE bus and the last 4 drives on are a PCI IDE card.

The command dmesg will show you most of the start up messages.  It
should also indicate whether or not your second ide card is working.