[lug] Re: newbie-ized how-to's

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Thu Feb 3 20:45:39 MST 2000

Here's an attempt to describe some of these things, of course this is
like the blind leading the blind as I am still new to linux (only been
using it for a year).

>     --  do a simple o/s install-and-configure off a cd
>         (downloading from a distro's website and
>         setting up that way is probably rather far
>         in the future for me; ditto for putting in
>         a new kernel or anything like that) and keep
>         it running smoothly

Any more these days in order to install one of the Linux distros.  You
plug in the CD and boot and follow the prompts.  They have always been
pretty clear.  However, if you want to set up a dual boot system, then
you will need to use a partitioning program to clear some space for it.
If you have the cash, Partition Magic handles resizing partitions very
nicely.  Otherwise I have heard people using fips successfully.  Once
you have created some space (some of that space needs to live completely
below cylinder 1024), then you should be able to boot your CD and it
should recognize that there is another system there.

As far as keeping it running smoothly, it depends on what you plan on
using it for.  It took me about two months of trial and error before I
finally wasn't reinstalling as my recourse for nuking my system.  My
best learning experiences have been as a result of hard core nukes.

>     --  do whatever i need to do to get the floppy
>         drive useable (to swap small pieces of s/w
>         make small backups)

Your floppy drive should work fine if it is a recent enough drive.
/dev/fd0 is the name of your floppy.  In order to access it, you can
issue the command `mount /mnt/floppy` or `mount /floppy` (depending on
where you have it set to mount to, `cat /etc/fstab` and then look for
the line with /dev/fd0 in it, the mount point will directly follow
/dev/fd0).

Then the /mnt/floppy directory will be the contents of your floppy.
Copy files to/from that directory, just like you would from the
"directory" A: on the windows side.  When you are done copying, you have
to unmount the floppy so that the data will all be written and tidied up
properly.  You do this by running `umount /mnt/floppy`.

>     --  get 2 or 3 office suites, install 'em,
>         keep 'em running, learn to use 'em

I downloaded Star Office from Sun and followed the installation
instructions and the installation went very nicely.  My wife and I use
it for all of our word processing needs, that and LaTeX.

If this isn't what you had in mind, let me know.

Hugh