[lug] BLUG Meeting Summary for February 10, 2000

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Wed Feb 16 17:48:38 MST 2000

              Boulder Linux User's Group Meeting Summary

Attendance:  55

Synopsis:  The meeting started out with Ferdinand Schmid (?) giving us a
short summary of his recent experiences in evaluating backup software for
the Linux platform.  Michael Hammel then gave us an update on the status
of the Colorado Linux Info Quest expo to be held on April 1st in Denver
<http://www.thecliq.org/>.

Ed Meyer was the featured speaker for the evening.  His presentation was
about video gaming under Linux.  He discussed the hardware requirements,
the games available, on-line gaming, etc..  He also had several gaming
demos setup for people to see.  He provided us with the following list of
URL's for those interested in pursuing this further:

   Hardware Support

      http://linux.3dfx.com/open_source/download
      http://www.nvidia.com/
      http://linux.aureal.com/
      http://www.linuxgames.com/

   Overclocking Help

      http://www.tomshardware.com
      http://www.wickedpc.com/faqs/cpuoc/
      http://www.tennmax.com/ - Kyrotech Cases

   Where to get Linux Games

      http://www.lokigames.com/products/
      http://www.linuxmall.com

      There was also mention of Blue Mountain or something which didn't
      get written down...

   Installation Help

      http://www.linuxgames.com
      http://www.fileplanet.com
      http://www.planetunreal.com
      http://www.ethings.com

   Articles on Linux Gaming

      http://www2.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/01/31/000131opvizard.xml?Template=/storypages/printarticle.html
      http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=1163
      http://www.gamespy.com/articles/linuxgames_a.shtm

   Lan Parties

      http://www.lanparty.com
      http://www.bedlamgaming.net
      http://www.gamespot.com/features/pc_workshop16/index.html
      rmff-subscribe at egroups.com

   Petition for porting games to Linux

   http://www.tuxgames.com/petitions/

We wrapped up the evening with our usual door prize drawing, and question
and answer period.

Next Meeting:  March 9, 2000 features Kevin Fenzi speaking about Linux
Security and Fire-walling.  Kevin is the author of the Linux Security
How-To <http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO.html>, and is the
the creator of the KRUD Linux distribution <http://www.tummy.com/krud/>.