[lug] Modem/pppd problem

Elyse M. Grasso emgrasso at soteris.data-raptors.com
Wed Feb 16 20:48:31 MST 2000

The ongoing saga.... I think I fried part of my motherboard when
I opened my server box to put in the new drives, so I'm using my
laptop for email access until I can afford a new one (Igor's
motherboard is 3 years old and I was thinking of upgrading anyway
-- Igor needs a new brain--'
but it wasn't scheduled as part of this month's cash flow.)

Sometimes when I try to start pppd to dial into my ISP using the
laptop's modem,  it gives me a message about the peer needing to
authenticate. I have noticed that this message also comes up if I
have an active ppp0 and accidentally rerun the connect command,
so I suspect that ppp is thinking that the modem is already running
a ppp0. But I can't find any lock or pid files that might make it think
there is an existing connection. (I use the ppp-off script that comes
with pppd, and it seems to clean things up pretty well.)

Is there something I can do to force the modem to reset (or whatever
needs to be done to it) in a controlled fashion?

Thanks in advance

Elyse Grasso