[lug] Is BeOS POSIX like Linux?

Ralf Mattes rm at ns.aura.de
Wed Feb 16 17:07:41 MST 2000

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 llornkcor at llornkcor.com wrote:

[...]
> Actually BeOS was first designed for the PowerPC.
> http://www.be.com/aboutbe/companybackground.html

Yup! Cool looking box with two rows of LEDs displaying
the load of the two processors--very french design ....
Unfortunately they stopped building it and shifted over
to Mac/PPC (there was rumor about Apple buying BeOS as
the 'new' MacOS, but things went different).

> It supposedly is not unix based, but they use a unix-like directory structure,
> although the file system is different (64 bit, journaling).

Not really. The BeOS 'filesystem' is more database-like. The
closest thing in the Unix world would be the ReiserFS.

> ere are alot of gnu
> programs that have been ported. :o)

I think the OS supports POSIX system calls, so porting of
console tools shouldn't be too hard.

Ralf