[lug] File Size > 2G

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Wed Feb 23 11:18:04 MST 2000

This is just an educated guess, but a lot of the file operations return -1
to indicate an error. This is legacy issue of the standard C library. Many
of the calls i.e. fseek() have to return an error. What value can be used to
represent an error? If the standard return value is a positive number
indicating the current offset within the file, then the error must be
indicated by a negative number.

I don't know if the 64 bit versions of Linux address this issue.
Regrettably, the Alpha that I have doesn't have that much free space on it
so I can't test it.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Voice: 303 438 9585