[lug] 3.9.18 X snapshots

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Feb 28 23:13:56 MST 2000

Hi:

I haven't posted here before, but a co-worker recently gave me this
list address (at work I program on NT and always suggest Linux would
do the job better). So far it looks like a fairly well informed linux
crowd, so here goes.

I've been trying to compile the X snapshot for 3.9.18 (very recently
out), with the "make World", on a RH 6 box, kernel 2.2.12 SMP. Here's
a script output on versions:
-- Versions installed: (if some fields are empty or looks
-- unusual then possibly you have very old versions)
Linux ---------- 2.2.12 #4 SMP Tue Dec 21 18:30:28 MST 1999 i686
unknown
Kernel modules         2.1.121
Gnu C                  egcs-2.91.66
Binutils               2.9.1.0.23
Linux C Library        2.1.1
Dynamic linker         ldd (GNU libc) 2.1.1
Procps                 2.0.2
Mount                  2.9o
Net-tools              1.51
Console-tools          1999.03.02
Sh-utils               1.16
Modules Loaded         ne2k-pci 8390 ide-disk emu10k1

Other people I've talked to who have compiled on RH6 or 6.1 have said
that the make World compiles correctly the first time for them after
unpacking the source. But another person had said that he had trouble
with SMP headers on the stock RH kernel, and had to replace them.
Unfortunately, this is already the generic 2.2.12 kernel, so it isn't
a RH kernel problem.

Does anyone here have any experience with the snapshot X servers? Mine
compiles a lot of programs, and completes the build, but doesn't
produce the actual server. The log from the build is around 8 MB, and
grepping for lines that have "Error" in it produces about a 50 KB
file. Is there some other setup that imake isn't handling? Mesa, for
example, requires adding symlinks. Or maybe there is some version
incompatibility with binutils or software.

I consider it important to work with some of the snapshot features,
and can't give up on trying. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com