[lug] Linux DBMS

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Mon Mar 27 09:40:13 MST 2000

On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 11:35:30AM -0500, Subba Rao wrote:

> I am currently looking at using a DBMS server on a Linux system.
> Are Linux systems used as DBMS servers? If yes, what HW configuration
> would be recommended for a DBMS server for a e-Business application?

Yes, Linux has several good DBs available, from the free and fast
MySQL, to the free object relational PostgreSQL, to the commercial
Databases: Informix, Oracle, Solid and others.

The HW configuration depends on your requirements for storage
capacity, speed, transactions, reliability.

> Which DBMS systems perform well on Linux and are not resource hogs?

It depends on what you're trying to do.

Evelyn Mitchell
efm at tummy.com
--
http://www.tummy.com/ Consulting and Software for Linux and Unix
KRUD - Kevin's Red Hat Uber Distribution - the Freshest Red Hat every month