[lug] tar xvf not working?

JEFF PFOHL pfohl at sandia.gov
Fri Mar 31 20:18:01 MST 2000

Very strange. Now that my RH6.1 disk is up and running I do a tape
backup of my RH5.2 disk /usr/local and /home. Swap disks out and boot
up RH6.1.

Quickly do a

root> tar tvf /dev/ht0

Lists out all the files from /usr/local and /home BUT without the
leading /

For example

home/pfohl/.login

Not idea why but I'm glad to see all the files there.

Next:

root> cd /home
root> tar xvf /dev/ht0 home

starts listing out all the home/* files so I assume it is
working. After it is done I check the directories and none of them
were created and none of the files are there.

WHY does it not restore my files from tape?? And why does it archive
to tape without the leading / ?

Thanks!

PS I tried a

root> tar xvf /dev/ht0 /home

but got the error:

tar: /home: Not found in archive

				JEFF PFOHL
			 	E-MAIL: pfohl at sandia.gov
				PHONE : (505) 844-7033  work
					(505) 299-9516  home
        				(505) 844-6729  fax
				http://nucalf.physics.fsu.edu/pfohl

"My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people:
 Those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to
 try to be in the first group; there was much less competition."

 - Indira Ghandi, the late Prime Minister of India