[lug] vi/vim HOWTO, part 2

Carl Wagner carl.wagner at level3.com
Tue Apr 4 11:18:53 MDT 2000

Here is my .vimrc, just put it in your home directory.  There are many types
of auto indenting
and I have chosen one of the simplest ones. This .vimrc file has a lot of
features set, you may want to edit to your tastes.

Good things to know:
  (with my .vimrc)  F7 turns off (actually toggles) color syntax highlighting
  in command mode type ":help" or ":help syntax"  (without the quotes)
  also try ":set all" this will show what is turned on and off.  If it has a
no in front of the
     flag, then it is off.  To turn on something just type ":set x", like
":set autoindent"

Things to look at are autoindent, smartindent, cindent, ??.

One thing to be aware of with my .vimrc if you use the mouse to paste in to
the editor, you
should turn off autoindent (":set noai" the short form of noautoindent) before
pasting or you will
get a barber poll effect.
There is a "mouse=" option that should fix this but I could never get it to
work the way I wanted.

Carl.