[lug] Lock files....

John Starkey jstarkey at polaris.umuc.edu
Wed Apr 19 15:57:16 MDT 2000

Could someone explain what a lock file is. I looked for it in RH Unleashed
and read the man pages (which seem to be somewhat cryptic:}).

I've seen them several times. One in minicom which is /var/lock.

But right now I am having a lot of trouble setting up my fiance's Lexmark
1100. When I send the first whatever.txt > /dev/lp0 I hear the print head
positioning and that's all I get. There is a lock file in
/var/spool/lpd/lp I'm wondering if (by nature of the word "lock") this is
hindering further progress.

Thanks,

John