[lug] Cron

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Apr 21 10:41:33 MDT 2000

Thus spoke winrip
> I'm wondering what is the correct pattern to use for cron.

man 5 crontab shows this:

The time and date fields are:

field          allowed values
-----          --------------
minute         0-59
hour           0-23
day of month   1-31
month          1-12 (or names, see below)
day of week    0-7 (0 or 7 is Sun, or use names)

A field may be an asterisk (*), which always stands for ``first-last''.

> minutes hours days months weekday    program
>
> So that being said I added a script to run using crontab -e, and added;
> * 23 * * * /usr/local/blah blah blah
>
> For some reason the script has been running every 45 seconds as near as I can

Your entry says to run this /usr/local/blah every minute from 11:00pm to
11:59pm.  Specify a specific minute you want it to run and it will only run
once during that hour.

--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com