[lug] DSL question

Samartha qwerty at pobox.com
Sun Apr 23 11:28:57 MDT 2000

It's pretty much a no-brainer to set it up but one thing I found
somewhat dangerous:

when the router is reset, it has no passwords and just a <Return>
allows access to router configuration. How a reset apart from reste command
can be happening, I don't know - could a reset be happening by a crash?

At one point, a USWest brochure "CISCO 675 READ ME FIRST!!!:
page 45, setting the modem to PPP for static IP address" tells
"At the Password prompt, press {ENTER}.(you don't need a password here.)"

you bet you do! And it's pretty hard to find in the Cisco Manual how to set
the password.

>set password enable xxxxxx
>set password exec yyyyyy

there is a URL which describes setting up static IP's on the 675 but it is
for a block of IP's:
http://www.uswest.net/nav4/help_and_tutorial/uswestnet_help/internetoffice.h
tml#staticip

The brochure above mentioned describes the setup for a static IP.
You need to set the eth0 interface to your static IP address and netmask
given:

>set interface eth0 address <your ip> mask <your mask> up speed auto

I had to do this to get my router address assigned automatically within a
block of IP addresses - it may be different with a single IP:

>set ppp wan0-0 ipcp 0.0.0.0

This sets your login to the Internet accoount:

>set ppp wan0-0 login <your UsWest login>
>set ppp wan0-0 password <your USWest pasword>
>set ppp restart enabled
>write
>reboot

I had to disable DHCP server and NAT - this may be different with
a single IP.

One thing, however:  With a fixed IP, you will be scanned by
hackers/crackeres/scriptkiddies and probed for vulnerabilities and
possibly intruded if they find such. This is a fact and just a question
of time, when it happens.

You will need to have your system secured and up to date with
security patches - unless you don't care reloading everything and
spending a lot of time at one point in time after an intrusion.

I got burned and because of this I have a dedicated Linux box as a
firewall behind the router.

My distribution (SuSE - Redhat may have something similar) has a
harden_suse script with different security levels which can be run
to plug holes and a firewall package for this purpose and regular
announcements in their security mailing list.

Hope this helps,

Samartha