[RE: [[lug] isapnp]]

Bonnell, Doug DBonnell at BreeceHill.com
Tue Apr 25 11:39:23 MDT 2000

Near as I can tell, RedHat 6.0 and 6.2 don't supply /etc/isapnp.conf. Makes
sense, usually it's created as you go ( no sample either, but
/etc/isapnp.gone is
there ).

When I run pnpdump, I do see output on the console. It's doing the
equivalent of
an ISOLATE command, and shows the IO port address is sequence as it chunks
along. It gets to the end of the IO port address range ( 0x3FB ) and then
proclaims
that no boards were detected. It is looking at the third byte up in each
group of 8
and does skip over the standard devices when I edited /etc/isapnp.gone.

Since this is an old Compaq, I wouldn't be a bit surprised that their "bios"
could be
precluding actual contact with the pnp cards, if Linux is attempting to work
through
the bios rather than around it. This seems likely, given that the Compaq
sees the
board out there, but doesn't do pnp. Manually setting the devices with IRQ,
ports, etc.
is of no use, since the board doesn't get it's pnp setup done that way.

Oh well, I'll see if Compaq offers any upgrades on the "bios/diagnostic" end
of things.
If not, then I'll just have to find a more modern alternative for the
router.

Thanks,
Doug