[lug] I'd like to know what time my coworkers come to office

behapy behapy at shinbiro.com
Fri May 5 03:03:51 MDT 2000

Hi there?

I'd like to make this one.  I want to know what time my coworkers come to office and when they go back home.  I'm not a manager.  I'd like to do this as one of my hobbies.

In general, people they arrive at work.  What they do first?  I think they turn on their computers first.  This is the same for when they go back home.  So my idea is pinging to their computers periodically around time they come to office and go back home.

I can collect my coworkers computer names by ping -a xx.xx.xx.xx on dos command mode.  Then I know that my coworkers computer names and its IPs.  And I also know that it is possible that not matching computer names and its owners.  Some of my coworkers they didn't input their real name to their computers.  Neverthless I believe that over 90% of them, they inputed their real name to their computers.

Pinging to all of my coworkers computers periodical around time they come to office.  But there are problems.  I have to ping over 2,000 times different IPs.  And just little of them reply no answers.  It takes a couple of seconds.  So I can't ping over 2,000 IPs in 5mins.  Then I can't check the time my coworkers come to office.  So I need this.  Ping -a xx.xx.xx.xx and if no answer in 0.5 second then it is regarded the IP is not alive.  HOW CAN I DO THIS?

This is not for all.  At this moment I will try this as I have knowledge at the moment.  So some of people they may understand what I'll do.  And most of people they may not understand.  Anyhow,

What do I do first?  Do I have to know at computer language like C, Perl something like that?  I don't think I need to know computer language to solve this.

If you understand my question and you wish to help me.  Then I'll be very appriciated.  Many thanks,

Geengun