[lug] backspace key not working in vi

Hugh Brown hbrown at byu.edu
Sat May 27 12:38:17 MDT 2000

I have recently switched to Redhat 6.2 and I am rather frustrated by the
default setup of vi/vim on it.

I have been able to correct most of the errant behavior.

The two problem that I have not been able to correct are still
frustrating.

When I hit the backspace key in vi it deletes to the right of the cursor
instead of to the left.

TERM is set to vt100 and stty reports that erase is ^H.

When I am in vi, if I type ^H then it deletes to the left.  Backspace
works fine on the command line.  Help.

The other problem is when I want to do a global search/replace (e.g. to
get rid of the ^M), when I type ^V in order to get the ^M, it does
nothing (nothing productive, it fills in the square cursor and then
switches back to the underline cursor).

Hugh

PS  I finally moved to Boulder County and have my connection back.  My
experiences with Rhythms/PhoenixDSL has not been positive this far, but
that's another story.