[lug] xntp

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Fri Jun 16 21:07:45 MDT 2000

I am trying to set up some time syncing on a local network.  I have one
machine that I would like to have it get its time from a stratum 2, and all
of the rest of the machines on my network get it from my stratum 3.  I am
trying to use xntpd, but I can't make much sense out of the documentation.

My ntp.conf on stratum3.mydomain.com looks like

server  ntp-1.vt.edu  #ntp server at Virginia Tech
server  ntp-2.vt.edu  #ntp server at Virginia Tech
server  ntp1.cs.wisc.edu #ntp server in Wisconsin
server  ntp2.cs.wisc.edu #ntp server in Wisconsin
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
multicastclient
broadcastdelay  0.008
authenticate no

on anothersystem I have

server stratum3.mydomain.com
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
multicastclient
broadcastdelay  0.008
authenticate no

So, my question is, "Does this look right?" and how long would it take a
host that was out of sync to get in sync with stratum3?

I am only using ntp because I was aware of its existence, if there is a
better way, I am happy to give that a try too.

Hugh