[lug] Partitioning and modem problems

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Jun 19 19:23:42 MDT 2000

Mike McCallister wrote:

> A little more info that may well point in a good direction. I
> double-checked the COM port that Windoze says the modem is using. Device
> Manager reports the modem is on COM5. So I booted back to Linux and tried
> to run setserial again (BTW, it's truly wonderful that it remembers my last
> command even after logging out!!), changing ttyS2 to ttyS4 to reflect the
> "new" port. Setserial reported there was no such port (as ttyS4/COM5?).
>
> I then rechecked /proc/ioports. I had earlier written down that
> proc/interrupts called the device using IRQ9 as usb-uhci. Well,
> proc/ioports notes that the usb-uhci device is using ef80-ef93. Meanwhile,
> lspci says the modem is using IRQ9 and I/O ports at dfe0. So, something
> tells me that there is either a conflict, or the modem port is not set
> properly. Is this right?

Could be. But more likely this is a bridge to the usb. PCI busses have
bridges between busses, and those show up as well as devices that you
know what they are. Sometimes the same io port or irq doesn't hurt
anything, if they are bus mastering. But they can't both be the same,
and neither can be the same if the hardware is particularly lame. So go
by what the modem shows up as, not the usb device, which is a controller
to which a modem might be attached, but is not the actual device.
Remember also that setserial reassigns values to existing serial ports,
and you don't have to use ttyS4/COM5. If the base address happened to
correspond to that serial port, it'd be best to use it, but you could
deassign it on the real port and reassign any port settings you want to
a port that is not typical. I had another reply before this one that
shows a sample setserial to reassign ttyS2 for your named values.