[lug] Linux Fest 2000 Report, Day 2 (fwd)

ljp llornkcor at llornkcor.com
Fri Jun 23 09:45:09 MDT 2000

> Any day that starts out with firing fully automatic weapons can't be
> all bad.  A local guy who does training for the police came out with
> a Mac-5, a Mini-Uzi, and a Tommy gun.  What a blast (no pun intended).
> Eric is a fan of .45s, and had a great time again with Kevin's
> "Grizzly" .45 magnum.  What a beast...

hmmm, I was under the impression that FULLY automatic ( pull the trigger and
hold for firing many rounds- semi-> pull trigger for each round.) weapons
were illegal, unless you happen to be using them in conjunction with a
military purpose.
These were fired at this Linux Fest???
If so, perhaps thats why RD bailed. Since when do assault weapons have
anything to do with Linux?

> So what was awful about it?  Well, RedHat dismantled their booth
> last night during Larry Augustin's keynote.  Informix dismantled
> their booth in mid-afternoon today (leaving only Atipa and Linux
> Mall with big booth setups).  Two or three other smaller vendors have
> also pulled out, 3 vendors never even set up their booths today.
>
> Unfortunately, the show seems to just be very disorganized.  Of course,
> rumors today were flying about *WHY* RedHat pulled out, and the event
> organizer didn't do anything about working to keep them in control.
> It seems like the event hasn't been publicized very well, to the local
> LUGs, let alone the business community.

Perhaps RD