[lug] more library difficulties

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jul 11 19:46:47 MDT 2000

Andrew Diederich wrote:

> I'm really beginning to hate libraries.  So, someone pointed me to an rpm on
> rpmfind that had the libgd.so.1 file in it, and that worked just fine.  Now
> the only so file that this dang execuatable can't find is libgdbm.so.2.  The
> weird thing is I have it on my computer, it's in /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib,
> that dir is specified in /etc/ld.so.conf (with=libc5), when I do a ldconfig
> -v the library shows up, but when I do an ldd [filename] I still get an
> "libgdbm.so.2 => not found".
>
> The only thing I can think of is that the library I have is a libc5 version,
> and maybe the executable needs a libc6/ glibc version, but I can't figure
> out what to use to discover that.  This is getting pretty crazy.  Any ideas?
>
> --
>     Andrew Diederich

Possibly it is playing minor version games. Do this for the exact lib
name:
ldconfig -p | libgdm

See if it maybe claims libgdm.so.2.something, instead of libgdm.so.2

ldd [filename] merely tells you what is required. Placing a lib in the
path gives it an opportunity, but if something is wrong, it still might
not load. This is more or less just confirmation of what you've already
done, but see if that shows anything. For every libgdm.so* that it
shows, do ls -l on that lib, to see if it is a sym link, and if so, to
exactly what it points. And it is a possibility that the app knows the
difference between a glibc and a libc5 version, so you might need to get
a glibc version (no need to remove the libc5, just add it if needed).