[lug] Graphic shape program

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jul 11 21:05:05 MDT 2000

"Elyse M. Grasso" wrote:

> Is there a favorite utility for manipulating graphic shapes on Linux? (
> I mean the kind of thing that will let you place lines, and specify
> polygons, and then do things to them, not  process photos or do vector
> drawing).
>
> Elyse Grasso
>
> emgrasso at data-raptors.com

Are you referring to 3D modeling? Or CAD? I work with a game development
group that is in a bit of a situation converting to 3D, and we're
considering writing such a beast ourselves, for OpenGL 3D models. It
wouldn't be animated, just viewing and modeling. Otherwise you're stuck
with blender, which is awesomely powerful, but has a really steep
learning curve. There is also some CAD software, such as VariCAD.
Unfortunately, VariCAD barely answers emails, if any at all...very poor
service.