[lug] sendmail failed shutdown

John Starkey jstarkey at hughes.net
Fri Jul 14 12:14:42 MDT 2000

Hi again. Thanks for the replies regarding TCI cable internet.

Redhat6.1

I'm stuck on sendmail. I just setup named for the third time this year.
The first time I forgot to make a back up. The second time I had to
relearn the daemon and it's configs. Then the next morning we had a power
out while I was gone. I was gonna configure sendmail then do the back up
when the system rebooted named was screwed up again. I still don't know
enough about it but it's running.

To the point: I know sendmail relies on named. Sendmail was working the
second time, I just wanted to tweak a few things. But now sendmail shows a
few errors.

1) While telnetting into port 25 through my static IP, my eth0 IP, and
localhost; I keep getting "connection closed by foreign host".

2) When telnetting in as above; (inetd) execv /usr/sbin/sendmail no such
file or
directory. This seems simple to fix but my newbie status prevents me from
trying too much at this stage. I'm starting to lose track of my own
troubleshooting patterns, so much to learn, so many ideas. Can someone
tell me whether this calls for a ln or do I need to recompile? Recompile
doesn't sound right since it was working 3 days ago.

3) When I restart sendmail (from syslog). Shutdown failed and startup
succeeded. (I didn't kill it, just restarted).

Sorry about the length of this message. TMI maybe???

John