[Re: [lug] cable modem and linux]

Justin glowecon at netscape.net
Fri Jul 14 14:56:59 MDT 2000

I had a TCI cable modem all last year which I ran 6-7 computers thru a linux
router (redhat 6.0) on. The setup was just like what Calvin mentioned earlier.
In my case, TCI came out and installed the cable modem on my windows box. I
then gathered all the necessary network info from the win machine and from
there hooked up the cable modem to eth0 in the linux box and set the configs
up right. As far as whether or not to use Linux or Solaris, that's personal
preference. You won't notice any difference in "quickness", not for this
application. Both os's are capable of the same security benefits as well. You
will find however that there are tons more people out there trying to setup
cable modems on their home linux boxes than their home solaris boxes. Solaris
shouldn't cost you any more than a typical linux distro either, as long as
you're not using it for commercial purposes. I have Solaris7 at home which I
paid $20 bux for, just meandor around Sun's website and you'll find what you
need.

Justin