[lug] Converting people

Mike McCallister mmccallister at reporters.net
Fri Jul 14 23:27:19 MDT 2000

I would certainly put in a plug for the WordPerfect Suite. If he's been
using Windows for years, he might well have used WordPerfect at one point
or other. The suite comes with the Quattro Pro spreadsheet and
Presentations package, along with the CorelCentral calendar/planner
program. The Deluxe version even has the Paradox database!

I haven't worked much with the other suite components under Linux (I work
with all of them in Windows), but WordPerfect is just lovely, and the
conversion to MS Word format is terrific!

I'm not familiar with a PageMaker-like desktop publisher in Linux, but
FrameMaker is available. It's a little more challenging to do, say, a
three-column newsletter, in Frame than in PageMaker, but there are some
templates available for that type of function.

What Kyle says about holding off on this person unless s/he wants to get
more savvy is certainly relevant. Bad experiences are worse than no
experience at all. Yet, if s/he is at all interested, particularly if
they're actually considering working in NT or 2000, they become a ripe
candidate for Linux. But if they'd really rather stay with Win9x, let them.

Mike