[lug] Re: GIMP: is CMYK imprtant for monochrome work (fwd)

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Tue Jul 18 08:43:51 MDT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Wayde Allen wrote:

> Why would you want CMYK capabilities (color) for printing
> Ziatype (monochrome)?

I've been cross-posting pieces of this thread to let the group see that
we've finally gotten noticed by the alternative photographic process
community.  I've been lobbying over there to try the GIMP for several
years.

Anyway, I am curious about the lack of CMYK features in the GIMP.  I know
that some of the capabilities of Photoshop are not easily reproducible
due to licensing issues, but that doesn't seem likely as far as processing
images in CMYK color space rather than RGB goes.  Anyone have an
explanation?  Perhaps the capability is there, and people are just having
trouble finding it?

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)