[lug] sound card/NIC query

Brian Jarrett BrianJ at StorageSoft.com
Tue Jul 25 08:00:12 MDT 2000

Managed NICs have the boot manager code stored in an EEPROM chip on the
card.  The boot manager can allow the NIC to request boot information from a
PXE server, etc.(I don't remember the other services it supports right off
hand...) instead of booting from the hard drive.  I believe they all have
Wake-On-LAN capability as well.

Unless you plan on booting from something other than your local hard drive,
you probably wouldn't need a managed NIC.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com [mailto:matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 6:28 PM
To: clue-talk at clue.denver.co.us; lug at lug.boulder.co.us
Subject: [lug] sound card/NIC query

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the following cards with regards
to Linux compatibility?

Sound Blaster Live! Value

3COM 3C905C-TX-M

Also, what is the difference between a "managed" NIC and one that is not
"managed"?  3COM offers a whole category of NICs that are managed (such as
the 3C905C-TX-M) and another category that are not (such as the
3C905B-TX-NM).

-Matt