[lug] reference/tutorial for connecting to port 23

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Jul 26 12:17:55 MDT 2000

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 11:57:22AM -0600, matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com wrote:
>telnet?  I've always expected telnet to be tied to the keyboard that
>initiated the connection, but now need to pass characters generated by
>another process through without user intervention, if possible.  I've been

Unfortunately, telnet wasn't really meant to do that.  Depending on
exactly what you need to do, "ssh" or "expect" are probably what you
want.  For example, with OpenSSH (www.openssh.com) you can do:

	tar c / | ssh remotehost 'gzip -9 >/tmp/backup.tar.gz'

I think you can find expect on freshmeat.net -- it allows you to write
modem-chat-like scripts which work with any program including telnet.

Sean
--
 "Yes on one, no on two."  "Is number one nuke Russia, or number two?"
                 -- _Buckaroo_Banzai_