[lug] So now we're a bunch of communists, eh?

B O'Fallon bof at americanisp.net
Sun Jul 30 06:49:06 MDT 2000

Steve Ballmer, at Microsoft's annual financial analysts meeting in
Seattle (the full article is here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/12266.html):

"Linux is a tough competitor. There's no company led Linux, there's
barely a Linux road map. Yet Linux sort of springs organically from the
earth. And it had, you know, the characteristics of communism that
people love so very, very much about it. That is, it's free."

I have in my lifetime been called many, many things (some good, some not
so good) but no one until now has dared called me a communist. Perhaps a
better term for Linux users would be "anarchists." Or, we since they
want something for free, how about "misers"?

But communists? Never!

B. O'Fallon