[lug] So now we're a bunch of communists, eh?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jul 31 10:58:44 MDT 2000

On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 06:49:06AM -0600, B O'Fallon wrote:
>earth. And it had, you know, the characteristics of communism that
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>But communists? Never!

The word "communist" is fairly loaded in the US, which may explain some
of your reaction.  My questions to you would be:

   What do you know about communism?

   What is it that makes you think the comparison is so unjustified?

   Do you feel equally outraged about using insurance (which has traits
   of: Put all your money in a pot, skim the pot, use the rest to pay
   the people who are in need).

Historicly, the word "communist" seems to have been used when what was really
meant was "enemy".  If you take it more in the spirit of "working for the
common good", what's wrong with saying that the Linux community has
characteristics of communism?

Sean
--
 "We just wanted to give the band a little more thrust than most other bands."
         - Donald Fagen's reply to why they chose the name 'Steely Dan'