[lug] Firewall what a flare of experience

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Tue Aug 1 16:19:19 MDT 2000

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Chris M wrote:

> > You say, or at least imply that Linux CAN'T WORK as a firewall,
>
> No I didn't say can't work, nor did I imply it, go back and reread. Of
> course it can work, it's just stupid to rely on.  Big difference.

Sorry if I screwed up your semantics here.  The question still remains ...
why can't it be relied upon?  What exactly are its failings?  So far you
still haven't addressed this.

> > I certainly don't mind a good
> > controversy, and perhaps what you are saying is correct, but you too could
> > be specific and show your work.  So far I have never known you to do this.
> >

> What would you like then, a list of customers that were hacked on Linux and
> bought a PIX from me?

No, in case you haven't noticed that still doesn't answer the question.

I'd be interested in knowing what Linux is missing, what needs to be
developed, or what faults it has.  Saying it can't be relied upon or
listing machines that have been hacked, etc. doesn't really help us here.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)