[lug] SQL and JAVA on Linux

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Aug 1 23:49:26 MDT 2000

John Starkey wrote:

> Ok here's a little digression from the firewall debate, if anyone is
> interested.
>
> I have on my box, postgres, Oracle, and Sybase. Actually I have the Oracle
> disk that comes with Solaris8 so it's for the Solaris box. Sorry.
>
> I am, as per the headhunters' requests delving into JAVA. I haven't heard
> of much mention of JAVA as an interface to SQL. Is this common??

I see more and more java interfaces to various database related
applications. Many of them appear to be superior to ODBC and prior
interfaces. Many of them won't be replaced by java simply because the
old technology is in place, and there is a resistance to change. There
are a lot of proprietary scripting languages attached to various db
brands, java is somewhat unifying where it is available, so it might
have an advantage in a mixed environment, provided each has a java
interface.

> If so are there any pros and cons as to which of the three would be the
> best for learning both JAVA and SQL at the same time and is there a difference
> between the shells to use while doing this??

You need to learn SQL no matter what interface, if you really want to do
the job (some people will tell you MS Access is all you need...provided
you are willing to be inefficient or aggravated). I don't have much of a
comment on which shell to use...use one that doesn't interfere with you.
By all means, learn java at the same time...it's hard for SQL to do much
good without an application to link it to...you can enter all things at
a console, but that is a tool now and then, not a goal.

> And does anyone see why either Linux or Solaris would be the better choice
> for this?

If you want a db over 2 gig, you'll need some patches to work it on
linux. If you're trying to learn or don't need over 2 gig, linux is
probably cheaper.