[lug] SQL and JAVA on Linux

John Starkey jstarkey at ajstarkey.com
Wed Aug 2 09:58:51 MDT 2000

> *BUT* Solaris 8 interests me & maybe
> we need to create a splinter UG on that topic!

I'm there :}

>I've
> installed that on various boxes with varying results, from
> your basic 9-attempt flakey install to pretty smooth ones
> to total lockups (lately on a brand-new vanilla-Intel
> CPU & Mommy Bored with every card specifically on their
> HWCompat list, which was to be my Oracle server for a web
> site, which hung instead) Anyone else out there have any
> experience with this?

Yeah..... me!

It couldn't get it to even recognize HP Pavilion 4440, or maybe it just
kept locking up with device manager. Or that could have been one of the
other 20 times I installed. I had problems with the video cards, blaming
solaris for four times, and elctrical problems twice. Volume manager so
far get's a really low ranking, I have everything working great, CDE
llooks fine, great res. But I can't get it to recognize the Oracle disk
that came with it. Linux sees it and I can mount and explore. Solaris sees
a couple other disks I tried.

I'll give it two thumbs up, but they are shakey thumbs.

What I do like is the disk repair utilities. I've got two 1 gig drives and
one 6 in there. The 1 gigs have a couple bad sectors. Solaris is able to
work with them. As far as I know and I hope someone can correct me if I'm
wrong, linux won't do that as easily. I'm too caught up in the shell and
networking arenas to get into remapping drives.

> In fact, re: a Solaris listserver, once I can get my system
> fenced off & talking safely to the great outdoors, I would
> be interested in hosting such a listserver. Wonder what the
> need for such a thing is or if there already is one locally?

You've got one participant. I'd offer but I'm way to newbie to pull it off
and still have the hair left.

Since @home won't allow services and I've got another week free with a
month before I move I've given up on using local smtp.

John