[lug] Module support (kernel compile)

Kenneth D. Weinert kweinert at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 10 23:21:17 MDT 2000

At 00:22 8/11/00 -0400, you wrote:
> > of course, if you haven't used lilo, then learning this on top might be
> > more risk than you want to acquire all at once :)
>
>Thanks for the input. I think you are right. As I've been posting I've
>also been referring to the Kernel HOWTO and it's kinda confused me on the
>lilo bit. It says I need to run make bzlilo. I've been doing make bzImage
>and I just did so without running make bzlilo. Hmmm.... so my new kernel
>isn't in affect. Do I need to reboot after the bzlilo?

Well, I usually do a

make bzImage

then cd to /boot, rename the current kernel to a different name
(bzImage.good, for example), then copy the new kernel into /boot and then
edit /etc/lilo.conf to add an entry for bzimage.good.  Then run lilo and
reboot.

Mind you, this is most probably minimal information - it has worked for me
and I'm sure that some of the more knowledgeable will be able to tell you
how to do it better :)