[lug] Apache + SSL

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Thu Aug 17 11:58:18 MDT 2000

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 10:52:45AM -0600, Justin wrote:
> but whenever I start the script it hangs up. If I start apache manually with
> apachectl (apachectl startssl) it asks for my server passphrase (that I used

This is the problem for you, right here. And you're not going to be able to
avoid it very easily.

When you created your key, it asked you for a passphrase. Now, in order to use
that key, Apache must have the passphrase (so as to unlock it). Without a
passphrase, you would never be asked for it, so your machine would bring up
Apache just fine.

Solution? Regenerate another key. When asked for a passphrase, hit <ENTER>
twice. Then lock down that key file (ie: chmod 0400 server.pem), and then
lock down the box.

Wish I had a better one for you than that, but it's what's required.

-----
Michael J. Pedersen
Get GnuPG at http://www.gnupg.org
My GnuPG Key Fingerprint: C31C 7E90 5992 9E5E 9A02 233D D8DD 985E 4E72 4A60
My GnuPG Public Key Available At: http://www.keyserver.net