[lug] linux router project

Glenn Ashton gfa at idiom.com
Wed Aug 23 09:28:49 MDT 2000

It sounds like your network people are the real problem.

I use such a converter on a Sparcstation IPX and have seen no problems and
where I used to work, we had such a media converter on our backbone and
didn't have any problems.  (We upgraded the backbone to fiber before I
left though).

The Linux solution is viable, although I can't imagine that your "network
people" would be all that happy with another router on their network if a
converter would cause them fits.

Maybe a small switch?

Or a small hub with a BNC connector?

I wish you the best of luck.  You'll surely have to be creative to get
around this one.

(and, I suspect the network people really want to sell you the $950 dollar
network drop rather than have you use a $30 dollar transceiver.)

Perhaps their objections are real.  10base2 can be very flakey.  Does
anyone else on the list know if the network people's objection to a media
converter is valid?  I'd be curious to know.

Best Regards,

Glenn Ashton