[lug] linux router project

Ferdinand P. Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Wed Aug 23 13:18:19 MDT 2000

Coax networks are usually referred to as 10base2.  The advantage is that you don't need
any hubs - new computers are simply connected in series with the other computers.  A
conceptual andvantage of this technology is that you can transmit much higher
frequencies (and therby data flow) over a coax line than you can transmit over a
twisted pair of wires (10baseT).  This is just a matter of physics.  But if someone on
a coax network does something nasty to the cable like bending it around a tight corner
or driving a nail through it then you change the impedance of the cable, resulting in a
transmission problem.  That is the reason some people consider those networks to be
flaky.

Better is always subjective - it is simply a different technology.  The guys at NIST or
any HAM operator can tell you lots more about this.

Ferdinand