[[lug] DSL, static IPs and the hunt for red october.]

Duke Smith duke at firstworld.net
Fri Aug 25 09:29:33 MDT 2000

When I first acquired the domain name webiq.com & the 256 address
class-C block logically and legally connected to it, there was never
any enlightened discussion such as below claiming "[d]omains have
nothing to do with IP address acquisition". The terminology used in
the legal contractual text defining this transaction was that the domain
name webiq.com is the name legally and logically assigned to the domain
www.xxx.yyy.[0-255], much as, I would guess, the personal name
"Jim Romary" is legally and possibly even logically assigned to a certain
living, breathing physical entity. Your circuitous and obfuscatory discussion
wouldn't even get past depositions if a related issue ever wound up
in the legal system.

I have never denied that "Providers must pay" for IP@'s, nor have I claimed
there is anything "untoward in charging for" them. I merely shared some
very simple arithmetic based on prices people on this list quoted, as
compared with what I pay for my domain name and its associated address
block (and have paid for over 5 years through 3 different registrars who
provide no ISP services, except for the current one, who provides DNS
services). This arithmetic shows, objectively, that to charge $15 a month
for 8 addresses (with, apparently associated, computer-genrated, meaningless
"domain names") amounts to paying 5,760 times as much as I pay per
unit of time per IP@, which eqauls 576,000%, or a 575,900% mark-UP
above and beyond the retail price I pay, which is certainly more than what
any IP@ registrar (who may or may not be an ISP) pays for them.

Your ability to confuse the issue with irrelevant, non-responsive, and
incorrect commentary is truly amazing.