[lug] ASP on Apache/Linux

John Starkey jstarkey at ajstarkey.com
Thu Sep 7 09:09:46 MDT 2000

> note that 10k/month isn't enough to even bother thinking about.
> assuming that you have 8 peak hours a day, that gives you about 160
> hours/month to to service 10k requests.  multiplying that by 3600
> seconds/hour says that you have some 579k sec/month for those
> requests, which works out to about one a minute.
>
> you can get away with using plain old CGI for that.  i can appreciate
> the desire to engineer for efficiency and scaling, but until you go up
> another two orders of magnitude, you don't have to worry about that
> here.  also, network bandwidth will often become a limiting factor
> before CPU power will.

I kinda lost you here. What are you saying CGI? I've never used asp
before, although I will have training coming up soon at work. Are you
saying rewrite all his scripts, functions, whatever's into cgi scipts.

The site isn't designed, or coded by me. I'll only be hosting it.

> my home machine got some 9k hits last month, of which about 10% were
> CGI-based.  i didn't even notice the load, and that's on "antiquated"
> hardware (AMD K6-3 450MHz, VIA MVP-3 chipset, 100MHz FSB, 384MB RAM,
> SCSI).

To start this venture off I'm running Apache on a 333 HP 4440 w/ 64Mb and
Sendmail on 266 Mhz noname with 72Mb. I'm looking for another 128Mb for
the HP.

I've got 3 domains/sites to have up by the end of next week. And 2 more
after that to register/design/code and then I will be starting Linux from
Scratch on a 450 Mz.

I was a little worried about the bandwidth but I think you just did a fine
jobs of putting things in light. If it does come down to CPU I'll just
split the load/domain/machine. The mail.domain.com machine should do fine,
I think, since it can be a little slower for starters.

Thanks for replying,

John